Apostilles from the State of Indiana

The Secretary of State for the State of Indiana provides Apostille and authentication services to U.S. citizens and Greek nationals for documents to be used in Greece. The Authentication Department for the Secretary of State for the State of Indiana does not accept walk-ins. All documents must be mailed to the address below:

Indiana Secretary of State
Authentication Department
302 W. Washington Street, Room E-018
Indianapolis, IN 46204

The types of documents which can be authenticated include:

  • Corporate documents such as company bylaws and articles of incorporation;
  • Power of attorney;
  • Diplomas;
  • Transcripts;
  • Letters relating to degrees;
  • Marital status;
  • References and job certifications;
  • Home studies;
  • Deeds of assignments;
  • Distributorship agreements; and
  • Papers for adoption purposes.

Apostilles from the US Federal Government

Federally issued documents such as FBI Background checks, documents issued by the IRS, Birth Certificates of US Citizens born abroad and any other document that has been issued by a federal agency must receive an Apostille from the U.S. Department of State.

The U.S. Department of State provides authentication services to U.S. citizens and Greek nationals on documents that will be used in Greece. For the requirements of Apostille by the federal government, click here.

U.S. Department of State
Authentications Office
518 23rd Street, NW SA-1
Columbia Plaza
Washington, DC 20520


If you require authentication by the US Federal Government, other than Apostille, click here.


Apostilles from the State of Wisconsin

The Wisconsin Secretary of State provides Authentication and Apostille certificates for documents certified by a Wisconsin notary public or by Wisconsin public official to be used in Greece. They have information and a form on-line with a great explanation of what is required.

Wisconsin Secretary of State
Certification Desk
30 West Mifflin Street, 10th floor
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 266-5503

You must submit an original document for each certificate.

Apostilles for the State of Illinois

The State of Illinois Index Department certifies by Apostille the validity of an Illinois notary public, county clerk, local registrar or circuit clerk. This special official certification is accepted by Greece as proof that specific documents are official.

Main Office:
Illinois Secretary of State’s Office
Index Department
111 E. Monroe
Springfield, IL 62756
(217) 782-7017
Chicago Office (Walk-in):
Illinois Secretary of State’s Office
Index Department
17 N. State St.
Suite 1030
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 814-2067

Where do I get an Apostille for my State

Apostilles are issued by you state. Click on the lings below to find where to get an Apostille for your state. For a list of countries that issue and accept Apostille certifications, click here.

Greek translations for the Midwest

The General Consulate of Greece in Chicago serves all of the Midwest: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, N.Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, S.Dakota, Wisconsin

That means that all of the Midwest, we offer translations in to Greek and into English for the following areas:

  • Illinois
    • Chicago
    • Palos Hills
    • Palos Heights
    • Noridge
  • Missouri
    • St. Louis
  • Michigan
    • Detroit
  • Wisconsin
    • Racine
    • Milwaukee

For the most part, we can provide you with services connected to the Consulate.

US birth certificates for use in Greece:

You can obtain your certificate from the City Hall or the County of the city where you were born.

There are two forms of Birth Certificates. The Short form which has your basic information, and the Long form which is usually a copy of your original birth certificate as it was filed with the authorities. Unless you specify, you will be provided with the Short form. You will need to ask for the Long form to be valid in Greece.

The Birth Certificates issued by the Hospital are not useable. You will need to obtain the official birth certificate from the Secretary of your State.

The birth certificate must be issued within 12 months from the time you need to use it. Since you are applying for recent / current birth certificate, request a few extra copies (3 – 5). The cost for the additional copies is minimal.

Want to get married in Greece?

We can help!

At greektranslations.com, we offer a document translation service specifically for people getting married in Greece. We can also help you find a wedding planner in Santorini, Mykonos, Tinos or several of the Islands and in Athens.

Here’s a list of the documents we will need to make your marriage arrangements more convenient.

Documents are required for all marriages (civil or religious):   

  • Original birth certificates (issued from vital statistics office in your county/state) for both parties.
  • Sworn statement indicating freedom to marry (Pistopoiitiko Eleftherogamias – Πιστοποιητικό ελευθερογαμίας).
  • Copy of divorce certificate* or divorce decree or death certificate (if applicable).

Documents required for Catholic marriages in Greece:

  • Baptism certificates for both parties.
  • Confirmation certificates for both parties.
  • Church certificates stating that both parties are free to marry (Pistopoiitiko Eleftherogamias – Πιστοποιητικό ελευθερογαμίας).

Documents required for Greek Orthodox Marriages in Greece:

  • One of the parties must be Greek Orthodox.
  • Both parties must supply baptism certificates stamped by the Diocese of the local Church.
  • Church certificate indicating freedom to marry (Pistopoiitiko Eleftherogamias – Πιστοποιητικό ελευθερογαμίας).